As a college student I kind of have to love my backpack, it holds everything I need for class (laptop, books, etc.) and everything I hold close to my heart (almonds for snacks and of course a to go bottle of hot sauce). However, I love my backpack even more because of how individual you can make your trusty book bag through pins and patches.
There’s so many reasons that these little additions are amazing. First off, they allow you to show everyone on campus who you are, where you’ve been and what you’re in to. Second, they are crazy simple to put on. For patches all you need is an iron and maybe 5 minutes of your time. Pins and buttons are even easier, all you have to do is pin them on.
My favorite part of my own collection is that it really shows who I am and it acts as a little scrapbook on my back. Working clockwise from the top left corner, here is a rundown of my little treasures.
- Apostle Islands Sled Dog Race – my mom got me this one while she was a volunteer dog wrangler at the event in Bayfield, Wisconsin last winter.
- Iceland – I got this patch last March during my spring break trip to Iceland. It’s one of the most magical places in the world and one of my favorite trips I’ve ever taken so of course I have to represent it on my bag.
- Prince – as a true Minnesotan, I have an eternal love for the Purple One. Catch me singing Raspberry Beret or When Doves Cry on my way to class!
- Official Blockhead – I received this pin after ordering some artwork from this amazing artist I found on instagram by the name of Levitzo
- Ocean City beach pass – I got this little yellow button while on a trip to the Jersey Shore of Labor Day weekend. It was my first time going to the shore and plus I got to spend the day at the beach with some friends which made it even better.
- Seattle – I was gifted this guy by one of my close friends after her trip to Seattle last March
- Grand Canyon – my parents recently went to Sedona, Arizona and the Grand Canyon with some of their longtime friends. Sadly, I did not get to go because I was at college (lame, but I guess education is important)
- Donuts Make People Happy – W was sent this patch by one of my friends. This patch is from a local donut shop called Varsity Donuts that is located in Manhattan, Kansas (not New York, i know it can be confusing)
- *bonus* mini backpack – while this isn’t quite a pin or patch, I do get a lot of comments about my mini backpack that is attached to the zipper. I have considered painting it to match my actual bag, but that might be overkill.
Pins and patches are a great way to spice up your old backpack and breathe some new life into it. Plus, patches have been very on trend the past couple of years and can give whatever you put them on a sort of vintage or lived in look.
All photos were taken by my friend Jane who has her very own blog, janeandlaura.com, that you should check out.
Until next time!